7.06.2011

Double Trouble

Fireworks. Fruit Stands. Family and Friends. Food.

That was about all I did on this 4th of July weekend. I was in a quite quandary about what to cook on Monday so after browsing a few of my favorite sites I came across a sweet and a not-so-sweet recipe that was perfect for the hot day.

First up I decided on a simple black bean dip that is easy to whip up with any vegetables that one might have in their refrigerator at the time. At my own house I always have peppers on hand, but at my parent's home that wasn't the case so I had to go without. 
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup diced orange bell pepper
  • 3/4 cup diced fresh tomato
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 1/3 cup diced English cucumber
  • 3 green onions, sliced thin
  • 1 jalapeno, deseeded and minced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
  • the juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 teaspoon canola or grapeseed oil
  • 2 – 3 dashes cumin
  • 2 – 3 dashes coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix together all of the vegetables, black beans, and cilantro in a medium sized bowl. Mix together the final ingredients that form a sauce to pour over the vegetables and there you go!
We first didn't have an jalapeno and we thought we could get by without it, but you CANNOT. So if you are going to skip out on anything, don't let it be the jalapeno.

You didn't think that I was going to let a holiday go by without making something completely sweet and wonderful, right?
I weighed my options and with help from the little sis we decided that since neither of us could stop thinking about the Peach Blueberry Shortbread Bars in Matchbook Mag (page 110) this month that our decision should be easy. 
Off to the fresh produce stand where we bought a carton of peaches, blueberries, and jalapenos because I guess you can't just buy one jalapeno, meaning we have a years worth supply at my parents house.

These Shortbread bars are delicious and combine two of my favorite summer fruits.


If you can't find the recipe on Matchbook, there is also an almost identical recipe from Smitten Kitchen.

I am sorry that my posting has been very lacking over the last couple of days. With all the stress from school and then a slight computer malfunction I got a little behind but I am back!

Until next time. 
4 day week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio