10.31.2011

Butternut Squash Flatbread


Thursday nights have become my favorite when I come home after a long day to an usually empty house and I can cook my favorite fall meal. Three Thursdays now I have made the exact same thing and I am not looking to break the tradition anytime soon.
This butternut squash flatbread is up there in my Top 5 favorite recipes I have ever tried and it is so quick and easy.

I have now modified the recipe, originally from Real Simple.

1 frozen pizza crust or frozen flatbread- although Target has a great garlic flatbread in their bakery that is delicious too and even though not frozen, still works great
Butternut Squash- cut up into half inch cubes, enough to cover your flatbread surface
1/2 Onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
Salt and pepper
Pine nuts
Arugula- a small handful to cover the top of the flatbread and squash
Your choice of cheese- I use cheddar and mozzarella 

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees and sprinkle corn meal on the baking pan, place frozen flatbread on the pan. 
2. In a bowl, mix cut up butternut squash, sliced onions, thyme, salt and pepper, and olive oil.
3. Sprinkle your desired amount of cheddar cheese (or your choice) on the flatbread and top with butternut squash and onion mixture. Spread this out over the flatbread and don't layer it to high or your squash won't cook all the way through. Sprinkle mozzarella and pine nuts on top of this mixture.
4. Cook for 20 minutes if using a frozen bread, but less, around 15 if not frozen.
5. One to two minutes before removing from the oven, carefully place arugula leaves on top to completely cover. 
6. When completely cooked, take out, let cool for a minute or two, and then enjoy!

Real Simple




Until next time.
Thinking about Thursdays. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio