10.05.2011

Wrapped Up

They are a few staples that I have to keep in the kitchen at all times, those including frozen shrimp in the freezer, spinach, peppers, basil, feta cheese, and eggs. If you have these few things than you can make a mean omelet and a few other easy and tasty meals. This week I concocted some new recipes using my everyday staples (plus a few secondary necessities).

During one of my trips to Starbucks last week I decided that I was not only under-caffeinated but starving as well. Luckily I spied a healthy looking breakfast wrap on the menu, little did I know that it was going to rock my world. This wrap included spinach (staple!), egg whites (staple!), and feta cheese (another staple!) and knew that it could be easily replicated in my own kitchen. 

Starbucks Breakfast Wrap
Two egg whites- scrambled with salt and pepper
Feta Cheese
Spinach
One medium-sized wheat tortilla


Scramble your egg whites and set aside. Put the tortilla in the frying pan on low-medium heat and place spinach, feta, and eggs in the tortilla while in the pan. Once one side of the tortilla is lightly browned and crisp (I check by carefully using my hands or a spatula to lift one side of the tortilla) wrap it up like a burrito and carefully flip the whole burrito on the other side so that it can cook and brown as well.


Take out of the pan and top with salsa if you so desire. Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee and your morning blog reads, this last part is imperative and not optional!

This picture is so dark because it was taken at a horribly early hour when the sun wasn't even awake.

Tuesday afternoon I started searching around the pantry and refrigerator, only to realize that I had allowed myself to run out of all food, other than my staples. So not only was I mentally making a grocery list in my head but also devising a plan of how to put a twist on my normal ingredients to make a good lunch.

These recipes always start with shrimp. It is easiest thing to cook and can be easily altered to Mexican, Asian, or Italian cuisine. Today I was feeling Mexican as I seasoned my shrimp Emeril style (bam!) with red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and cumin. I topped my shrimp with some of my favorite veggies and feta, of course, wrapped it all in white corn tortillas and had myself a great little lunch.

Tuesday's Tacos
Six frozen shrimp
Red Pepper Flakes
Garlic Powder
Cumin 
Red Pepper, diced
One small tomato, chopped
Spinach
Feta Cheese
Small handful of basil, diced
Salt and Pepper
Salsa or hot sauce

Cook the shrimp on the stove at medium heat in a table spoon of olive oil, a dash of red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Once the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent remove from the pan and place on a plate.

Don't wash out the pan!
Using the same pan with the seasonings and olive oil, lightly cook the corn tortillas on both sides before placing on a plate to fill with a bed of spinach, then seasoned shrimp, feta, peppers and tomatoes, and topped with basil and salsa.


Until next time.
Just made the perfect fall cookies too, recipe to come!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio