7.20.2012

Guest Post: Coffee Sugar Cookies

I'm so excited to be back guest blogging for Kathleen today! I'm Annie, her younger sister. You can see my other guest post here.

This recipe I'm about to share with you is one for the books. It all started last Tuesday night when I got on Twitter to be informed it was National Sugar Cookie. How did I not know about this sooner? Anywho, I suddenly knew my evening plans would consist of whipping up some of my signature sugar cookies.

I like to think my recipe is the best sugar cookie recipe out there. I have tried multiple other recipes, but nothing compares. I have been making these cookies for years, and like to think this recipe is what got me started baking.

Although my sugar cookies are wonderful on their own, I decided to turn them up a notch. When I combined two of my favorite things, sugar cookies and coffee, the flavor came out incredible. I stuck with my basic cookie recipe, but simply added a coffee grounds to the dough and Kahlua and hot brewed coffee to the icing. These cookies are perfect and highly addicting.



Coffee Sugar Cookies:

2/3 cup shortening (or 1 1/2 sticks butter) softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
4 Tbsp. milk
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 heaping Tbsp. of any coffee grounds (not instant espresso, but coffee grounds)


Kahlua Icing:

2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup strong coffee
Kahlua to taste (i did about 1 Tbsp.)

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer. Add egg, beat till light and fluffy. Stir in milk. Sift together dry ingredients (I'll be honest, I never sift and they always turn out fine). Blend into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take dough out of fridge and roll on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies with your favorite cookie cutter and bake on a greased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes.

Recipe yields: 2 dozen cookies

Once cookies are completely cooled, whisk together icing ingredients then spoon on to cookies.


Hope you enjoy! Can't wait to whip up more very soon!

celebrate national sugar cookie day







No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio