11.13.2012

Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies

I woke up Saturday morning with nothing to do. 
And when I say nothing, I mean I had tons of things I could have done, but none of them really involved me changing out of my pajamas and leaving my apartment.
Besides, my desire to bake on Saturday would have trumped any real plans that I had. 

So for two and a half hours I sat on my couch (watching Little Women) and searching the entire world wide web for something sweet to make. The possibilities were really endless and ranged from cranberry crumble bars to peanut butter fudge cookies to white chocolate peppermint fudge.
I landed on these espresso chocolate chip cookies; a decision based solely on the fact that I already had all the ingredients and didn't have to change out of my pajamas and go to the grocery store.


Not that going to my grocery store (Wal-Mart...) in my pajamas would be a shock to anyone there. Every time I walk in I spot people in their pajamas, slippers and everything. 
This. Is. Not. Okay.


So it was settled. I was going to make espresso cookies, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the little tiny detail that these cookies have coffee in them...

The cookies were quite easy to make and I anxiously awaited for them to come out of the oven so that I could enjoy them with a glass of milk. 
And here is where the story gets sad. Cue somber music and cut to an image of me eating a sub par cookie by myself in my pajamas. Actually the score from Little Women was playing in the background and it doesn't get more somber than that. 


These cookies were not bad, I promise. They just were not everything I was expecting.
I was tempted to throw the entire batch away so that the cookies wouldn't even be a temptation (wasting calories on mediocre cookies is a crime) but I was too lazy and told myself I would get rid of them later.


Cut to Sunday morning- me in my pajamas, on my couch, watching Little Women. Dejavu?
I decide to try another cookie with my coffee for breakfast.
It was SO GOOD.
Yes, you read that right. These "okay" cookies had magically transformed overnight to "awesome" cookies.

So here are my conclusions--
1. These are "next day cookies". This syndrome for baked goods really does exist. Like the chocolate cake that gets better as it sits, these cookies are better after they rest and the flavors mature.
2. These cookies are best dipped in or paired with coffee. My glass of cold milk did nothing for these chocolate chip cookies, but the hot coffee made these cookies melt in my mouth and I was hooked. So hooked that I had two more for breakfast.


Never judge a cookie until the next day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio