1.18.2013

Smitten with Friends and Food: Night 4

I will admit that I rarely am able to make chicken that I feel confident about eating myself and especially serving to others. I usually end up smoking out my whole apartment and then pick at chicken, wishing I had made something else.
Not this time! 
I successfully made beautiful and delicious chicken and the only embarrassing part is how many times I burned myself on the searing pan. You think after grabbing the handle once I would learn. 

This harvest roast chicken from the SK cookbook called for a unique pairing of tastes with red grapes and Kalamata olives, but it was just another reason why I wanted to make this recipe. With the chicken I made dijon-braised brussel sprouts and an interesting concoction of rice and roasted butternut squash based off of this Smitten Kitchen recipe to make a complete meal that I was proud of.


Harvest Roast Chicken with Grapes, Olives, and Rosemary: by the Smitten Kitchen
serves 4

What You Need
3 pounds chicken parts (I used thighs) with skin and bones
Table salt
Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup seedless grapes
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
2 small shallots, thinly sliced (I skipped these)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary

What You Do
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees with a rack in the middle.
2. Pat chicken dry and generously season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil in an ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it simmers.
4. Brown the chicken, skin side down first, turning them over once, about 5 minutes per batch.

5. With the skin side up in the pan, surround the pieces with grapes, olives, and shallots.
6. Roast the chicken in the oven until it has just cooked through and the juices run clear, about 20 minutes.
7. Transfer the chicken, olives, grapes, and shallots to a platter.
8. Add wine and chicken broth to the pan juices in the skillet. 
9. Bring liquid to a boil, scraping down any brown bits, until it has reduced by half, about 2-3 minutes.
10. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with rosemary.

The dinner was topped off with french bread, which was great for soaking up the juices on my plate, wine, fun conversation, and a little impromptu karaoke. 

Pizza  night! Off to make the dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio