7.26.2011

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Somehow on Sunday night I ended up home all alone with nothing to do. I started thinking and realized it had been a very long time since I had baked anything in my kitchen. So it was decided! The only problem being that I had no money to go to the grocery store and our house was almost completely empty of any food. That meant that I was going to have to do some intense research to find a recipe that included only ingredients already in my house. Hopefully you have them too!

Recipe modified by me from This Week for Dinner

This recipe makes two loaf pans of banana bread, so it would be easy to half!


  • 1 1/4 Cup sugar
  • 1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 Cup mashed ripe bananas  (note: about 4 medium-sized bananas)
  • 1/2 Cup buttermilk (note: if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, put about a 1 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar into your 1/2 cup, then fill the rest with milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 1/2 Cup flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 Cup mini chocolate chips
  • 3/4 Cup shredded coconut (OPTIONAL- this is one item we don't keep on hand, so I skipped it!)
    • If you had any pecans or walnuts around the house I think it would be delicious to throw those in!
Heat oven to 350, grease bottom only of 2 loaf pans.
Mix sugar with butter. Stir in eggs. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, soda until just moistened – do not overstir!
Fold in chocolate chips.

Okay, so here is where I run into a major problem. We had all the ingredients, I was just missing one important thing, loaf pans...
I had to get creative and make half of the batter as muffins which worked out great and the other half in a circular Pyrex. Not your typical bread form but it still tasted delicious!

Traditional Loaf Pans- Cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (Dark, non-stick only needs 45 minutes.) Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then on a wire rack. 

Muffins- Mine only needed to cook for about 14-17 minutes. Just watch them and stick a toothpick down in the middle. 

The muffins were great but I took the loaf out when the inside was still a little bit batter-y (just a little) and it resulted in the perfect, moist chocolate chip banana bread.

I can't take credit for these pics!
I got these from the original blog. My camera was dead...
Until next time.
Mini chocolate chips make anything better.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio