10.11.2011

Crusted Butternut Squash

Monday night I had a quite special bonding moment with a butternut squash. Who knew that it would prove to be the most difficult vegetable I have come across?
I had already made up my mind that I was going to try a Pinterest inspired recipe for crusted butternut squash and I wasn't going to let one intimidating gourd stop my dinner plans. 

As I pulled the squash out of my grocery bag and onto the cutting board I realized I had never even touched a butternut squash before, much less cut one. Where do you start? Can you eat the "skin"? If I eat a seed will a squash grow in my stomach? I turned the squash on all sides and finally bit the bullet and cut into it. Well if you didn't know, I am one of the luckiest people and when I guessed that you shouldn't eat the skin or the seeds I was right, thank goodness. I didn't want my childhood fear of food growing in my stomach after consuming its' seeds to come true after all this time.

After a rough start, I ended up making what could be my favorite fall vegetable dish and I was successful in making the kitchen smell like Halloween with the mix of spices swirling around the oven like ghosts in the sky. 

Conquered.

I found the recipe for the Butternut Squash here and surprisingly didn't make any of my own changes. The combination of spices like sweet nutmeg and parsley formed the perfect taste and cooking the squash for 25 minutes resulted in a perfect tenderness. 


I cannot wait to take on other vegetables and other Pinterest recipes, I love sharing them!

Until next time. 
I love fall cooking.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio