5.28.2012

My Favorite Sangria

Happy Memorial Day!
I hope that everyone is enjoying the holiday while remembering how lucky we are and those that helped to give us that freedom.

This holiday weekend has been relaxing if nothing else. It has also been a record-breaking weekend for great food. From brunches with heavenly biscuits and gravy, backyard parties with brisket and baked beans, and a low-key Thunder watch party with barbecue leftovers, some NBA themed cookies, and my new favorite beverage. 

travel eat love

When it comes to summer entertaining or just back porch-sitting, sangria always seems like the appropriate choice but I have to admit that until Sunday, I had never loved any of the sangrias I had tried.
This is shocking seeing as that it is mostly fruit and wine, but the taste had always seemed a little off.
I had almost given up until I found this recipe on Taste Spotting (my online go-to for recipes, even before Pinterest). The recipe seemed simple enough and I liked that it only included three fruits, strawberries, lemons, and an apple. In my past experiences with Sangria I find myself throwing every ounce of fruit I have around the house, thinking that it will turn out great. This method has not worked out for me and I think from now on I will stick to something simpler, rather than the everything-but-the-kitchen sink approach.

1 bottle of dry, white wine (Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc)
4 cups of lemon-lime soda
1/2 cup white rum
2 lemons, sliced thin
1 apple, chopped into cubes
1-2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced

Mix fruit in a pitcher and then add the wine and rum. Let chill in the refrigerator for as long as possible (recipes always recommend chilling for 4-6 hours, but who ever thinks of making it that far in advance) and then add the lemon-lime soda right before serving. 



Go ahead and eat all the Sangria-infused fruit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio