4.17.2013

Our Beauty

Unfortunately, as women, we too often get caught up in our personal appearance. I know that I catch myself staring in the mirror, wishing that I looked different or that certain things looked "better". We all have those body parts that we hate, whether that be our thighs, our arms, our hair, or are nose, the list can unfortunately go on forever. Everyone sees herself in a certain way, and that image we see in our heads (and that we think we see in the mirror) isn't always pretty. 

When I first saw this Dove Real Beauty Campaign video, I cried. I cried when I watched it again because I was so moved by the reality that it portrays.

This video proves that the way that we view our facial features and our bodies is harsh and almost always a false opinion masquerading as a fact. As the women in this video described themselves, they degraded their features and highlighted their "fat" and "protruding" characteristics. It was heart breaking because I know that it is probably similar to the way that I would speak of certain parts on my body. But what a beautiful thing to hear as mere strangers spoke of their natural loveliness to provide a more accurate description for the artist. Today I challenge you (and myself) to stop spending so much time in the mirror, criticizing the little things that no one else sees. Allow your true beauty to come out, smile, and laugh so that the people around you can enjoy the loveliness that was naturally given to you. Also, mention to a family member, friend, or stranger something that you find in them that is beautiful and allow them to hold on to that comment for even just a moment and see how it brightens their day. 

"We spend a lot of time as women trying to fix the things that aren't quite right, and we should spend more time appreciating the things we do like."

Your beauty is beautiful. 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! Thanks for sharing. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathleen, that video was so beautiful. It really is a sad how we have become so critical of our features and physical appearance, but yet lovely and refreshing to see that strangers see beauty. I definitely want to share this on my blog. Thank you for sharing with us. Your blog is filled with so much beauty and inspiration!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this video.

    <3

    http://everythingsalwayssunny.com
    Kristin
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio