1.06.2014

Katie's Granola (Yes, Another Recipe)

When my older sister asked what I wanted for Christmas this year I simply told her a cookbook and a slouchy beanie. What a surprise on Christmas morning when I unwrapped a black, cashmere beanie and a new cookbook! I was excited about both and within an hour my cookbook was completely covered in sticky notes, marking the pages of the recipes I wanted to make first. The cookbook is by the photographer and blogger behind What Katie Ate and features recipes inspired by Katie's travels around the world, entertaining her friends, and her family. One of the first recipes to catch my eye was her "Bob's Granola" recipe. My addiction with making my own granola started at exactly this time last year with Smitten Kitchen's recipe, followed by this recipe, and then followed by this recipe. Those three don't even begin to cover the amount of times that I have made different variations of granola in my kitchen. The smell that comes from the oven while the granola is cooking is enough for me to want to make it daily, not to mention that it is my favorite snack!


This recipe isn't too different from my standard granola recipe but I enjoy the change and the slight variation in favor. You can chop your almonds and hazelnuts, or keep them whole. You can add the dried fruit or leave it out. Granola recipes are so versatile and almost impossible to mess up-- just don't let it burn! Start checking on your granola often during the last 10-20 minutes of cooking.  

Ingredients 
5 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup wheatgerm
3/4 cup shredded coconut (I used flaked because I like the texture it adds to granola)
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pepitas
1 cup almonds
1 cup hazelnuts, skinned (or any other nut variation you prefer)
4 tablespoons canola, peanut, or sunflower oil (I used coconut because I like to break the rules)
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons quality maple syrup (to clarify this is not Aunt Jemima, Log Cabin or anything else you pour on top of your Eggo's in the morning)
1 3/4 cups sultanas, currants, or raisins (or a combination) - optional 
1/2 cup chopped, dried dates or figs - optional

makes 12 cups

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the oats, wheatgerm, coconut, seeds, and nuts in a large bowl, then divide this mixture in half, leaving half in the large bowl and setting aside the other half, covered, in a small bowl.

Heat the oil, honey, and maple syrup in a saucepan over low-medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the mixture is thin and runny, then pour it over the oat mixture in the large bowl. Mix really well with a spoon until well-coated but not too clumped together; if the mixture looks a bit wet, mix in some of the reserved dry oat mixture.

Divide the wet oat mixture between the prepared sheets then bake for about 1 hour, stirring the granola occasionally to make sure the mixture cooks evenly. It should be a luscious golden color when it's done - take care not to let it darken too much.

Remove the sheets from the oven and let the mixture cool completely, then tip it into a large bowl and combine with the reserved dry oat mixture and the dried fruit. 

Serve with milk and additional honey drizzled on top, on top of your yogurt of choice with fresh fruit, or plain, as a snack. 

recipe from What Katie Ate


I need to start a separate granola blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio